Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Date on a Mountain Top

Almost 18 years ago on our second date ever, we went to the top of a mountain. This was in the summer and our activity was mountain biking in the Hyalite Basin. Unfortunately, it didn't go quite as planned with the keys getting locked in the car 30+ miles from civilization. I wish I had a photo from the event, but I wasn't much into picture taking at that time in my life.

So 17+ years later we are still together and still seeking adventures on top of mountains! On Sunday we were fortunate enough to spend the entire day at Crystal Mountain. Tom has been up so many times this year we have lost count and we have made it up with the girls 4 times but this was my first time getting up for a full day of real skiing without the kids. We had flown in Grandma Margie especially for this reason and we lucked out with amazing weather, great company and good snow. I can't imagine how it could have been better.
I decided that I need to try and keep one step ahead of the girls for as long as possible since I have a feeling in the next year they will be surpassing my skiing skills for the rest of my life. So I pushed myself on some blue runs that have scared me in the past and feel that I passed with flying colors. Now I am sure I wouldn't win any style points but I stayed upright and had a smile on my face so I will take that as a win. With that said, I doubt black runs are in the near future for me (or maybe NEVER) but I am just fine with that.
So thanks to Grandma for being a great babysitter and dealing with late planes on both ends of the trip. And thanks to Tom for hanging back with me on the "bunny slopes" all day while his buddies were off searching for fresh powder in the trees. Can't wait until the next mountain top date!

2 comments:

katy said...

What a great day. You both look so happy. I'm sure it is more than just the mountain air. xo

Heather said...

Looks like a great time! Love the goggle pic!