Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Resolution


Here is day 8 photo for Project 365. Yes, I am well aware that almost every person on the planet makes the resolution to exercise more when the New Year arrives. And I have also made that resolution every year over the last decade. BUT this year is DIFFERENT. I am sure of it and have made some specific changes to ensure that I am on the right path.

Step 1 was to shop around for gyms and sign up. After a 6 month hiatus it feels good to belong to a gym again. I feel I found one that meets all my needs from fairly close to home to decent childcare to great classes.

Step 2 (and this is the big one!) for the first time ever I am using a personal trainer! I have never felt the need for one. I have the knowledge on how to work out and figure I can do it on my own. But I know that I have never had anyone to feel accountable to. So I would stop a set when my muscles started to ache or stop the elleptical 5 minutes short of my plan. Tuesday I had my fitness assessment with the trainer which was difficult. My body hurt alot, but my pride was crushed even more. I was an athlete, in my former life, and still view myself as that person. I then realized that I had work to do to regain even a glimpse of my athlete status. So today was day one of training. He pushed me until my body ached and then pushed me farther. My legs hit fatigue to where they were shaking. And it felt GREAT!!! Working up a real sweat, having my muscles let me know they remember these type of workouts.... Now I may have different feelings in the morning!!
Step 3 is one that has to wait until February. And that will be signing up for the Danskin Triathalon. I have talked about this for 4 years and always found an excuse. No excuses this year! I will do it (or some other triathalon).
I will keep you updated!

2 comments:

Phil Kriz said...

You go girl! Working with a trainer is a great way to get back into the habit of exercising regularly. Once you are back in the habit, making your workout into an appointment - with just as much validity as an appointment with your doctor or the girls' teacher, will also help keep you on track.

Oh, and remember - Aleve is your friend. Take it early and often. :)

rachel said...

Good Job! I am so weak in this area of my life...I make any excuse to put of the exercise! With maddie getting older, I really want to be a good role model for her though, so the time is coming where I will need to get off my butt!