Friday, December 31, 2010

Out with the Old

Let the post-holiday let-down begin.... It always seems a bit depressing to take all the decorations down for another year and see the end of vacation in sight. Back to the reality of school, practices, schedules and such. Though there is a part of me that looks forward the routines and the hope for my resolutions to come true (a big one this year is to get back in control of housekeeping and overall home organization that seems to have gotten completely out of control the past year).

I have to admit, that this year's clean-up was quite simpler than most. I had only gotten out about half our decorations since we were out of town for the holidays and not hosting any gatherings. The only ornaments on tree were from the girls' personal boxes that they hung all on their own so they were in charge of taking them down. Madison was able to handle her half all on her own, while Nora needed assistance reading the labels but was still a big help when she wasn't making knots of the stringing beads!

I got all the new labels added to their boxes and found homes for the new additions. We will need to add third boxes for both the girls next year and I am realizing how out of control their ornament collection will be if we continue on with this pace. Do the math 4-6 ornaments a year times the number of years they live at home.... We do typically have a random one break occasionally to cut down the numbers a bit.

And then the tree we have had for 8 years finally died this year and stringing lights on a prelit tree defeats the purpose entirely. So the take-down of that will be much easier without the need to box it up. I am debating going back to a live tree next year but we will reassess that in 12 months.
Still need to tackle a few other things and discovered 2 of my Halloween spider decorations are still out on a shelf. OOPS, I really do need to get my act together!
Wishing you all a very Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still holding onto Christmas through The Epiphany. Kitties are ignoring the tree (mostly). They are spending quality time in the bedroom if we are gone! You are starting the year off right. Pk